Dentures and partials are a solution for patients with missing, broken, or extracted teeth.
Our professional dentists at Eagle Run West Dental Group provide dentures and partials in Omaha. Here’s how dentures and partials work and how they’re made.
What are Dentures?
Dentures are a removable replacement option for patients that have lost one or multiple teeth.
An alternative to dental implants, dentures are made to imitate the look of natural teeth and gums.
There are two types of dentures -- partial and full:
- Partial dentures - Dental partials are an option for patients that have partially lost teeth in the upper or lower arch. Partials are a plate with one or more artificial teeth attached.
- Full dentures - Full dentures are custom-made replacements that cover the entire upper or lower arch of the mouth. A full denture is made from flesh-colored acrylics that rest comfortably on the gums.
Dentures are beneficial for patients that have experienced a total or partial loss of teeth due to gum disease, tooth decay, or injury. Dentures may also help to improve chewing and speech, fill out the appearance of the face, and rebuild your smile.
Our dentists in Omaha will work closely with you to determine which type of dentures are right for your specific needs.
What Are Dentures Made Of?
Dentures are typically made from various materials, including acrylic, nylon, porcelain, resin, or meta. A partial denture may have an acrylic base with metal gum attachments, while a full set of dentures has an acrylic framework with acrylic or metal accessories.
False teeth, or pontics, are made from porcelain or resin. Both porcelain and resin have a natural-looking appearance, however, porcelain’s color and texture are most similar to actual teeth.
How are Dentures Made?
Before your dentures are made, our experienced dentists at Eagle Run West Dental Group will take x-rays of your jawbone and gums to ensure your bone and tissues will effectively support the device. In some cases, teeth extraction may also be necessary before dentures.
- Measurements - Our dentist will start by making impressions of your mouth.
We’ll take various measurements of your jaw to make sure your dentures are the appropriate size and shape.
- Model - Your impressions will be sent to a lab in Omaha. Within a few days, we'll have a model to try on for color, shape, and fit before the final denture is made.
- Final touches - After we’ve received the final set of dentures, we’ll make any necessary adjustments.
How Long Do Dentures Last?
Full dentures can last anywhere between 5-10 years, while partials have an expectancy of about 15 years. Dentures and partials can change over time, leading to an improper fit or unattractive appearance. Dentures will need to be relined, rebased, or remade depending on any needed modifications.
Our experienced dentists at Eagle Run West Dental Group recommend having your dentures checked at least once a year, or at the earliest sign of irritation.
Are Dentures Worn All Day?
No, dentures shouldn’t be worn 24/7. Wearing dentures all day may expedite bone loss, causing loosened dentures. Instead, dentures should be taken out, properly cleaned, and stored in water overnight.
How to Care For Your Dentures
In general, we recommend caring for your dentures the way you would your natural teeth, including:
- Keeping them clean - make sure you’re removing your dentures before bed, rinsing them with water, and thoroughly brushing them with a soft-bristled toothbrush. This will help to eliminate plaque or residual food.
- Soaking them every night - dentures need to be wet to hold their shape, so place them in a glass of water or denture-soaking solution overnight.
- Seeing your dentist - check-in with your dentist, at least once a year, to make sure your dentures stay properly fitted.
Dentures & Partials in Omaha, NE
If you’re interested in dentures or partials, give us a call at 402-498-8804 or schedule an appointment at our dental office in Omaha.